My Couch to 5K Journey...so far


Raise your had if you were that kid in school who always bunked off P.E? Yep, me too. Although I may be blessed with lots of other personality traits, being 'sporty' was not one of them. I was always 'forgetting my kit' or 'on my period' or else, if my excuses ran out, I'd be at the back doing the bare minimum. If a teacher wasn't looking I'd stand there idly waiting for it to be over. Suffice to say, sport of any kind whether doing it or watching it, was just not my cup of tea. 

Since leaving school, not much has changed. I can count on one hand the amount of times I've had to run in the intervening years (mostly for buses) and perhaps I've been swimming a few times but basically my physical exertion has been well below zero for a long time. 

At the beginning of 2020, before the pandemic hit, I was already at a low point. I was unhappy with the way I looked but more importantly, I was realising that going into my third decade on this Earth, my health was beginning to suffer too. Even though I could walk up four flights of stairs daily to reach my office or walk ten minutes down the road to Tescos to grab lunch, I always felt uncomfortable doing it. I would get hot and bothered, I would get out of breath easily. I have always been on the heavier side but I was really noticing that I felt lethargic and struggled with my energy levels. 

I made a resolution to join the gym and to start making healthier lifestyle choices. I still remember the first time I went to the gym. It was very daunting and I was so nervous but honestly, if you are hung up about setting foot in one then please don't be. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought. 

For a few months I got on well, I was using the treadmill and slowly progressing to being able to run longer distances. I was using the bikes and the elliptical machines and on the whole was sticking to going three times per week. In the first six months I lost about a stone and began to feel so much better within myself. 

My progress was derailed when the lockdown was announced in the UK. I didn't want to loose my momentum so I decided that I'd need to continue to do home work outs - I quickly found out these are not for me, I never stick to it for more than a couple of days. My next thing was to try the dreaded 'outdoor' running. Now, if going to the gym was a huge step for me, going out running in public was next level. Just getting out of the door without convincing myself that everyone was going to be staring at me and judging me was a battle in itself. 

Eventually, I psyched myself up by downloading the NHS Couch to 5K app. I stuck on my trainers and loaded up an upbeat playlist and off I went. The first week of the app gets you running for 60 seconds at a time with walking intervals. Let me tell you, outdoor running is far harder than comfortably running on a treadmill. Having to contest with cars, pedestrians, uneven pavements, potholes and dreaded hills, is a whole different ball game. I finished my first week of Couch to 5k out of breath but feeling a massive sense of achievement. It is bloody hard. Some days I feel great, like I could run forever and I actually can't believe that I am out there and doing it. Other days (to be honest these days are more frequent) it's like I'm running with massive chains on my legs or wading through treacle. I'm now on week three and I am determined to make it to the end and finish this thing. I'll keep you updated. 

My top tips for beginners with no clue what to do (disclaimer: I'm by no means an expert); 

1) Make sure you eat and drink well before a run. I usually try and eat something (normally a light snack) about 1-2 hours before and keep myself hydrated throughout the day. 

2) Try and stick to a routine. I currently run on Tuesdays, Thursday and then either Saturday or Sunday depending on my schedule. 

3) Make an upbeat playlist (I like to listen to power ballads and The Greatest Showman - don't judge!) or download a podcast. 

4) Make sure you have rest days in between runs otherwise you not only risk injury but your performance and stamina will suffer. 

5) It's still a run even if you walk part of it or have to stop. 

6) Don't worry about everyone else. No one is looking at you and if there are then just remember they are probably jealous because they wish they had your dedication and motivation. 

If you want to get some inspiration I recommend;  

Read:  Jog on by Bella Mackie, I Can Run by Amy Lane. 

Follow: Suzanne Shaw (@Suzi_Shaw) on instagram

Watch:  Flora Beverley (Food Fitness Flora), Sarah Place, Ben Parkes and The Running Channel on Youtube. 

Download: Couch to 5K and Strava  to track your runs. 

Comments

Popular Posts